Skip to main content

Math Fair

I really enjoyed participating in the Math Fair at the West Point Grey Academy. I could see that the kids had put a lot of effort into their projects. I was actually amazed by their efforts and interesting ideas they had used for their projects. I never thought so many different probability games could be made with different materials, such as cards, spinning wheels, balls, etc. I think that the way that kids had to create their own games of fair or unfair probability definitely let them explore the concept quite deeply. A lot of brilliant kids were enthusiastically willing to explain the back knowledge of the way their games worked. It was fascinating to have conversations with them and delve into their ideas and results.
The prior meeting with the Junior School math teacher before we headed to the event site upstairs really helped me have the idea what the Math Fair was about and know the learning objectives the students were expected to meet while hosting their games. Because of that, I was able to know what kind of questions I should ask. Many of them could proudly answer most of my questions, but I could see that some of them were still unsure about their results and the math behind their games, especially those who had unfair probability games although I could tell they had definitely put a lot of effort into their posters. Of course, though, I understand that they could have had a harder time to figure out how an unfair game could work and to predict results for such game than those who had fair games.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Skemp: Relational Understanding and Instrumental Understanding

The advantages of instrumental understanding Skemp lists in this article can be viewed as study strategies for students who want to have easier grades and see apparent progress. This type of learning could help students who have had serious problems with mathematics and just need the grades to pass a course. Although my teaching experience is very limited, I have witnessed quite a few students who say they hate mathematics, and some of those students even think that they would not need mathematics in the real world. They might be right in some way, but if they were taught to learn relationally rather than instrumentally, their mathematical approaches towards the world might have been very different. With instrumental mathematics taught, students might think they understand, but they are not able to apply those concepts they learned to different situations. Lack of this skill leads to memory work and eventually boring classes. In boring classes students tend to strive for ...

Unit Plan

EDCP 342A Unit planning Yeni Yoo St. John’s School, Math 8 Ratios, Rates, and Percentages Preplanning questions: (1) Why do we teach this unit to secondary school students? This unit explores the concepts of ratios, rates, and percentages. The unit focuses on some of the most essential mathematical skills that students could apply in their everyday lives. Students will learn to compare ratios, find equivalent ratios, do scale drawings, convert between percents, fractions, and decimals, etc. Such mathematical skills will be strongly needed in students’ future lives and will enable students to evaluate important factors more precisely and make more reasoned decisions. Students will find such mathematical skills interesting and useful as they explore more and more real-world applications where they could connect the mathematical concepts and demonstrate their knowledge through problem solving. (2) A mathematics project conne...

Lesson Plan for Micro-Teaching